Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more
Post a reply

Re: H!P Youtube thread

Mon May 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Yeah, I think I've mentioned this before but there was an article written last year in which a comparison was made between the top charted Billboard songs and their actual current popularity on Spotify. In other words, which songs were merely novelty hits or just spoke to their own time, and which songs have resonated with the next generation. In some cases, the difference is striking. For example, Smells Like Teen Spirit is the number 1 Spotify played song of the 1990's. No surprise because it was a massive hit, right? Well that's the thing, it was a hit. But only the 32nd most popular song in 1992, beaten out by such classics as "All 4 Love" by Color Me Badd at #9 and of course Atlantic Starr's "Masterpiece" at #27. Point being that many songs that were popular in 1992 have almost completely dropped off the radar whereas other songs have endured.

And the same thing has happened with H!P songs as well. Like, for example Shabondama was released about a year after Do It Now and sold only half as many copies in its first week and as a final tally. Yet, on YouTube it has inched ahead of Do It Now for total views. You could argue that's because of the enduring popularity of the 6kis even with newer fans and I think you'd be correct to some extent. But regardless of the reason, the phenomenon is interesting, how some songs seem to last and some don't. Furusato's an example of a song whose popularity hasn't really lasted, going by YT views. Honestly even back in 1999 it was a weak seller sandwiched between bigger hits, but even so it still sold more than Shabondama ever would. Yet it only has about one-third of the number of views as Shabondama.

Mon May 23, 2016 11:01 am

This song always makes me happy :blush:

Thu May 26, 2016 10:20 am

Fanboy screech to the highest level

Sun May 29, 2016 5:10 am

Sun May 29, 2016 5:53 am

Tue May 31, 2016 11:55 am

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:34 am

Celedam wrote:From another thread…

Celedam wrote:
321BreakinOut wrote:So weird she tries to pull of this "boy" thing when think she's one of the prettiest members in the current lineup :|

But her speech and mannerisms are still very boyish. It's not a character for her; she seems most comfortable like that. If anything, the pretty idol is the character.

But oh, what a character…

The counterargument is compelling…

So who is the real Duu?

Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:44 pm

So many familiar (baby) faces.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:38 pm

^ Lol, Murotan already in her final form. Aarii hasn't changed much either. On the other hand, Hamachan ga!
Also, Mogi kind of reminds me of Koharu from back when. I wish she had stuck around.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Can someone explain to me what this is? I thought Morning Curry or Oheso no Kuni kara are the weirdest H!P songs ...
Post a reply