Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film
Post a reply

Re: Last movie you watched

Wed May 30, 2012 9:17 am

Clearly I forgot to post it, I saw The Avengers. So now I need to do a Marvel movie marathon soon. :lol:

Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 am

In the Mood for Love (2000) -- Director Wong Kar-wai's second part of an informal trilogy about complicated love. (I found it by way of the third part, 2046, which caught my attention with its quasi-scifi premise.) In Hong Kong in 1963, Mr. Chow and Mrs. Chan are neighbors who gradually deduce that their spouses are having an affair. At first they feel betrayed and wonder how it could have started, but as they console each other, they learn how in their own way. Very stylish, very adult, in a "Mad Men at the art house" sort of way. But the sensibilities on display are alien to me, not only from a different time but also from a different culture, so in the end I felt no connection to anyone. Very stylish, very adult, and very empty.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 am

Brave -- Gorgeous animation and lots of fun: Pixar scores again! :thumbs-up:

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:23 pm

^I need to see that!

I finally saw Shutter Island. It was good, but predictable. I said it was like Scorsese was channeling Kubrick for those of us who can't always stomach actual Kubrick xD Leonardo DiCaprio is a magnificent actor, seriously. Also I have a soft spot for Mark Ruffalo <3

Speaking of Ruffalo, I also saw The Avengers the other day. W o n d e r f u l, and Ruffalo really stole the show. He was a wonderful Bruce Banner. P.S. Nice to finally see Black Widow being awesome!

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Bakajo Nono wrote:^I need to see that!

I finally saw Shutter Island. It was good, but predictable. I said it was like Scorsese was channeling Kubrick for those of us who can't always stomach actual Kubrick xD Leonardo DiCaprio is a magnificent actor, seriously. Also I have a soft spot for Mark Ruffalo <3

Speaking of Ruffalo, I also saw The Avengers the other day. W o n d e r f u l, and Ruffalo really stole the show. He was a wonderful Bruce Banner. P.S. Nice to finally see Black Widow being awesome!

I lovex10000 Captain America, I don't know what it is about that character :heart: but he is so amazing!! I have a slight obsession.

I haven't watched many movies recently but I see a lot of movies come through at work though! Man on a Ledge looks interesting though has anyone seen this movie?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:45 pm

^ I saw the trailer on some DVD I watched recently. XD

My most recent movies:

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983) -- David Bowie is a prisoner in a WWII Japanese POW camp commanded by Ryuichi Sakamoto. It had been so long since I'd seen this movie that I didn't realize that Takeshi Kitano was in it, not only in a major role, but even in the first and last shots of the film.

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012) -- A dark but funny romantic comedy starring Steve Carell and Keira Knightley :love: which takes place during the last three weeks before an asteroid collides with the earth.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Was Seeking A Friend for the End of the World good? I want to see it because I unconditionally love anything Steve Carell is in xD

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 pm

^ I enjoyed it. It definitely had some laugh out loud moments.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:26 am

Pink Lady no Katsudou Daishashin (ピンク・レディーの活動大写真) (1978) -- In the great pop duo's only feature film, three film producers debate about what kind of movie to put Mie and Kei in, and we get to see all three. The first is a soap opera, in which the girls are sisters involved in a love triangle; they occasionally turn on a TV, where we get to see bits of a Pink Lady concert. The second film is a weird sci-fi piece, built around the songs "Monster", "UFO", and "Tomei Ningen" (Invisible Man). The third is a western, where the girls perform a couple of songs as dance hall girls in a saloon.

It's never been released with subtitles, so I wasn't able to understand a lot of it, but the plots were easy enough to follow. It reminded me of Sonny and Cher's 1967 movie, Good Times, which had a similar premise, with three films within the film.

Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:45 am

Celedam wrote:In the Mood for Love (2000) -- Director Wong Kar-wai's second part of an informal trilogy about complicated love. (I found it by way of the third part, 2046, which caught my attention with its quasi-scifi premise.) In Hong Kong in 1963, Mr. Chow and Mrs. Chan are neighbors who gradually deduce that their spouses are having an affair. At first they feel betrayed and wonder how it could have started, but as they console each other, they learn how in their own way. Very stylish, very adult, in a "Mad Men at the art house" sort of way. But the sensibilities on display are alien to me, not only from a different time but also from a different culture, so in the end I felt no connection to anyone. Very stylish, very adult, and very empty.

2046 (2004) -- In the third part of the trilogy, Mr. Chow is emotionally scarred by previous events but must carry on with his life. He finds some success as a writer and playboy, and in fact he becomes involved with a succession of women, but with each of them he realizes that he's only trying to return to the true love he had with Su Li Zhen (Mrs. Chan). His loneliness and despair become the metaphorical basis of his masterpiece story about a dystopian future. Exactly the same style as In the Mood for Love (i.e., "Mad Men at the art house"), but much more interesting because Mr. Chow seems to be in more control of his life as he slides from affair to affair, even if it leaves him miserable in the end.
Post a reply