Recent purchases

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Recent purchases

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:08 pm

I bought some new bedroom/around the house slippers as well. I've been buying them at Target, but the shoe selection there (particularly for men) has dwindled to just about nothing.
I was also looking for a new pair of Chucks, since my old ones were falling apart.
It looked like the nearest place that had Chucks was Tilly's -- which I thought (just from the name) was some kind of old-lady clothing store, until I went inside and realized that it was just another Hot-Topic-only-more-obnoxious skate/surf shop. :mikihead:
I bought my Chucks there, and a pair of DVS "made for skaters, by skaters" :roll: bedroom slippers as well.
Much more entertaining (and much sillier) than Target. XD
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Moh » Sun May 04, 2014 1:17 pm

Almay Smart Shade Loose Finishing Powder - Light
Almay Shadow Softies by Intense I-Color - Seafoam
Almay Color + Care Liquid Lip Balm - Apple a Day
Rimmel London Lasting Finish 1000 Kisses Lip Liner - Red Dynamite

Powder was a little expensive, but I know Almay doesn't bother my skin. I'm sure I'll be good on powder for a while. :lol:

5/4:
Little Mix - Salute
Paul McCartney - New
Christina Perri - Head or Heart
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Sun May 18, 2014 1:02 pm

On my way into Berkeley this afternoon, I saw that Albany Public Library was having a book sale, and despite my attempts to minimize my book-buying, I still managed to buy eight books:

Amerika by Franz Kafka. It turns out that I already had a copy of this, but I wasn't sure, so I was willing to risk 50 cents on it.

Greta Garbo by Richard Corliss. Only 50 cents, so why not?

Grundlagen des Studiums der Germanistik, Teil I: Sprachwissenschaft by Bernhard Sowinski. A general overview of Germanic linguistics, from the library of Herbert Penzl. I was working as a research assistant for Prof. Penzl when he passed away in 1995, and I spent hundreds of dollars on books from his collection when they showed up at Turtle Island Books. Only spent $1 on this one, though.

A Homestay in Japan: Intermediate Reader for Students of Japanese by Caron Allen and Natsumi Watanabe. Something at just the level I need. $1.

A Japanese point-and-speak phrasebook for speakers of Korean. I don't know Korean, but I can understand the pictures (and a lot of the Japanese), and it was too cute to pass up. I especially love the section on music and celebrities, which includes モーニング娘。$1.

Poketto Atorasu Nihon (Pocket Atlas of Japan). Nice, detailed maps in Japanese, but somewhat antiquated (1982). $1.

Majo no Takkyuubin (Kiki's Delivery Service) by Kadono Eiko. Hardback with dust jacket and obi in lovely condition, only $1.

And today's big score: The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien, translated into Chinese (simplified) by someone whose name I can't read. It's a trade paperback in nice condition, with a foldout map by Christopher Tolkien, color illustrations by Alan Lee, and appendices on the original names (English, Sindarin, Quenya, etc.) and how they're supposed to be pronounced. A fine addition to my collection of Tolkien translations for only $2.

EDIT: I went back on Sunday and bought a 25¢ library discard of Essential Japanese by Samuel E. Martin. It's not terribly up-to-date (1989 printing of the 1962 third edition) and it's entirely romanized (bleh), but it has some good grammatical information and some very helpful stuff on accent that tends to get omitted from Japanese textbooks. It also has useful tables of things like counters and the sound changes associated with them, and the different verbs meaning "wear" associated with different types of clothing.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Sun May 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Half Price Books is having a 20% off sale for Memorial Day Weekend, so I swung by and found a wonderful addition to my collection: Der glee Prins, a translation of Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry into Pennsylfaanisch-Deitsch (Pennsylvania German). It's from a limited edition of 500 copies, printed in 2006.

"Grossi Leit sin waahrhafdich gschpassich."
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:39 am

I bought two bras at Lane Bryant and got two for free. The two alone were 77 dollars.
I've never felt poorer until that moment at the checkout. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Postby erilaz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:46 pm

I bought this at work today for two bucks (minus 30% employee discount):

One of my co-workers spotted it and put it on my desk, thinking it might be of interest to me. Where did he ever get that idea?

They're all so young in this book! Even Mariko-sama's still a teenager! And some of them are virtually unrecognizable, especially Tomochin (she's in the lower left corner of the cover).
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:45 am

Sally Hansen Triple Shine nail polish - Sparkling Water
Covergirl Colorlicious lip gloss - Succulent Citrus
NYC Smooch Proof lip stain - Unstoppable Red
Moh
Prophet

Postby esm » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 am

Some books I bought at a used book shop in Stockholm:

The top left one seems to be a story book. There are so many copies of it at the store, each with a different cover, so I decided to get one. Then it's Pippi Långstrump by Astrid Lindgren, Mördare utan ansikte by Henning Mankell, Män som hatar kvinnor by Stieg Larsson, and then Per Anders Fogelström's Mina drömmars stad and Barn av sin stad. All famous Swedish books, of course. :lol:

Came out to be just under 24 USD (160 SEK) in total! Pippi Långstrump was the most expensive one, at 60 SEK, but I had to get it. Everything else was 20 SEK each.

Bought this Iittala mug and five Håkan Hellström CDs from a store that sold CDs & DVDs for pretty cheap. I found that there aren't even very many stores that sold new CDs/DVDs! There are lots of independent record shops though. It's like Swedes just buy music and movies online or something. :lol:
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:52 pm

I like the mug -- nice design!
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby stam4o » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:05 am

Aw, Astrid Lindgren is awesome, she was my favourite autor when I was a kid, though I still have much respect for her. Pippi was really fun to read :)
I'd recall another book of her, though, as her best work and that would be Bröderna Lejonhjärta. Incomparable.
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk