Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Amped » Sun May 17, 2015 4:02 pm

Mad Max : Fury Road. 3D

lots of non stop action. very good reviews.
Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby Zunu » Mon May 18, 2015 6:28 am

erilaz wrote:Just got home from seeing that myself. James Spader was an excellent casting choice for the voice of Ultron.

Is this the first time that Spader and Downey have been in a movie together since Tuff Turf, 30 years ago?

They were both in Less Than Zero in 1987.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:51 pm

The opening film of the 14th Annual San Francisco Documentary Festival:

All Things Must Pass, an excellent and informative documentary about the rise and fall of Tower Records. Director Colin Hanks (yes, the actor, Tom's son) was there for Q&A.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby rikkikow » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:25 am

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (2011)

From the novel a movie about a life long friendship.
Spoiler: show
in the commentary of this youtube there is a good synopsis of the movie's story

Back to 1942 (2012)

This movie will break your heart. Very touching last scene.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:30 pm

I finally managed to get down to the theater to see Inside Out. Excellent film, very funny and very sad.

"CONGRATULATIONS, SAN FRANCISCO, YOU'VE RUINED PIZZA!" XD
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:47 am

Here's what I saw at the Japan Film Festival of San Francisco:

Electric Dragon 80000V (2001)
Harajuku Denier (原宿デニール) (2015)
Kabukicho Love Hotel (さよなら歌舞伎町) (2014)
100 Yen Love (百円の恋) (2014)

Read the festival blurbs and watch the trailers, if you want to know more about them. All of them were worth seeing, with plenty of interesting characters.

There were other films I wanted to see at the festival, as well, but $13+ per ticket, combined with BART and bus fares to and from S.F. Japantown, really adds up. Not to mention the fact that a couple of the films just didn't work with my schedule.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Ok girls, this one is for you (chick flick). As I watched I knew it was written by a woman, actually two. XD
Il Mare (2000) XD I must of fast forwarded and missed the goat part @ 1:03.

I got sucked in on the sci-fi component of the movie. I suffered through it though but now
got a headache after reading this (note it's a spoiler) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282599/faq?ref_=tt_faq_1#.2.1.12

PS: it's a Korean movie and it bombed.
Was an American remake in 2006 as The Lake House starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock.
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Downtown 81 — Sort of a mixture of drama, fairy tale, and music video, it's an interesting snapshot of the New York art and music scene at the beginning of 1981, starring Jean-Michel Basquiat. One of the featured bands is the Plastics, which was one of the gateway drugs that led to my current J-Pop addiction.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:03 am

Red Cherry (1995)
It is a Chinese movie, a Chinese blockbuster being the largest attended movie in China in 1995. The story is told from a Chinese viewpoint of course and is based on actual events that happened during World War II in Russia. It follows the lives of two young Chinese "communist" teens Chu Chu (girl) and Luo (boy) that are sent to Russia for schooling to escape the horrors happening in China’s revolution and are caught up in a bigger horrific situation when the Nazi invade and occupy Russia. Chu Chu lives through the horrific ordeal and lives to be 64 years old. She never marries. It’s a heart breaking movie (I’m teary now) that shows man’s inhumanity to man much like what is happening today in Africa and the Middle East. The acting is superb.

Not recommended for children or weak of heart.
I did some research and Chu Chu's father was never cut in half like she stated in the movie. In fact he turned out to be a Communist politician as I recall.

==========
The Blue Kite (1993)
Boy, did I get suckered in on this one. No wonder it was banned in China. It sucks. :lol:
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:27 pm

Death Kappa (デスカッパ) (2010) — A spectacularly cheesy homage to (parody of?) kaijū films, complete with all the proper old-school accoutrements: rubber monster suits, cardboard buildings, model aircraft hanging from very visible wires…. The cast includes Anno Hideaki and Higuchi Shinji, who are directing the forthcoming Shin Gojira. (H!P connection: Higuchi was also the director of the mini-moni。movie.)
erilaz
Lazarus

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk