Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby erilaz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:06 pm

Exporting Raymond (2010) — The hilarious documentary of Phil Rosenthal's trials and tribulations as he tries to help create an adaptation of his hit sitcom, Everybody Loves Raymond, for Russian TV.

The DVD extras include two subtitled episodes of the finished product (Воронины), along with the original American versions of those episodes for comparison.

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:15 pm

David Bowie is — A documentary film of the Victoria and Albert Museum's exhibition of the same name. Very cool. The exhibition itself is traveling around the world and is currently at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago.

http://www.omniversevision.com/davidbowieis.html
http://www2.mcachicago.org/exhibition/david-bowie-is/
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:37 am

Das Experiment (2002)

“Earn 4000 marks for a 14-day experiment in a simulated prison.”

No thank you.

German movie based on inspired by the 1971 Stanford University study: http://www.prisonexp.org/

Spoiler: show
Every human being has a dark side which is a part of them.
Acknowledge this, and channel it in a positive manner instead of evil.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby rikkikow » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:27 am

NEBRASKA (2013)
Speaking of the dark side, Woody is a guy definitely not in touch with his dark side. Clueless.
But his wife Kate, now she's in touch. XD
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:11 pm

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) — A gritty, bleak, urban, Iranian-American romantic drama. With a vampire. The movie's entirely in Farsi (Persian), even though it was filmed in Bakersfield and Taft, California, with a predominantly American crew. It was interesting, but not as entertaining as some of the other vampire films I've seen recently. It's a great-looking film, though, with some beautiful black and white cinematography.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:12 pm

Zero Motivation (אפס ביחסי אנוש) — Talya Lavie's very funny dark comedy about a group of women in the Israeli army, fighting a war against the boredom of their tedious clerical jobs.

Nelly Tagar, one of the lead actresses in the film (and the cutest, IMHO), was supposed to be there for Q&A after the screening, but she didn't show up for some reason. :sad:

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:39 pm

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.

The end credits claim that it's based on a novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, but it bears only the slightest resemblance to anything I've ever read.

The biggest tragedy is that I had a coupon for a free movie at that theater, but I stupidly left it beside my computer at home, so I actually had to pay to see the thing.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby DSQueenie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:56 pm

I saw that on Friday too. The whole Galadriel, Saroman and Elrond bit was very confusing since I hadn't re-watched the second film. I really liked the Hobbit the book and felt like it could have made a really nice film. It didn't need three parts.
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Acolyte

Postby erilaz » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:53 am

^ "The whole Galadriel, Saruman, and Elrond thing" corresponds to one sentence in Tolkien's original Hobbit:

It appeared that Gandalf had been to a great council of the white wizards, masters of lore and good magic; and that they had at last driven the Necromancer from his dark hold in the south of Mirkwood.

Of course Tolkien provided a few more details about this later: a paragraph in The Fellowship of the Ring, a mention in Appendix B…. It's a significant event in terms of the later history, but when Tolkien wrote The Hobbit, it was nothing more than a device to get Gandalf away from Bilbo and the Dwarves for a while.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby DSQueenie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:16 am

So one sentence equals an hour of the films combined? That pretty much says all that needs to be said about these Hobbit films.
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk