Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby erilaz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:14 pm

One more film at JFFSF:

A Tale of Samurai Cooking: A True Love Story (武士の献立, 2013), starring Ueto Aya. :heart: The trailer will tell you what it's about.

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby rikkikow » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:49 pm

In honor of Berryz Kobo.
A great love story.

MONGOL (2007)
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Princess Yang Kwei-fei (楊貴妃) (1955) – A classic by Mizoguchi Kenji, set in eighth-century China.

I've been busy with a freelance editing project, so I haven't seen as much of the Pacific Film Archive's Mizoguchi retrospective as I would like.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Amped » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Boyhood.

some parts of the movie i could relate to when i was a kid.
Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby erilaz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:27 pm

^ I definitely want to see that at some point. Quite an intriguing experiment in filmmaking.

Tonight at a free screening outside the Berkeley Art Museum: Shack Out on 101 — An oddity from 1955 about spies selling nuclear secrets in a crummy roadside burger joint. The cast includes Lee Marvin (as "Slob"), Keenan Wynn, and Whit Bissell.

Message to the moviegoers of the world: TURN YOUR FUCKING CELLPHONES OFF! :x
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:25 am

I recently finished Under the Skin, starring Scarlett Johannsen.

I watched this film basically having no idea what it was about, which to me is the best way to watch a film. It's a full blown art house film. There are weird things taking place, long drawn out stretches with no dialogue. Lots of driving around, lots of trees blowing in the wind (which reminded me of last year's The Tale of Iya). And no explanation of anything. It was wonderful.

However, I can't really recommend it to people. The movie was strange, and plodding, and at times nauseating, intentionally so. There's full frontal male nudity. A severely deformed person has a prominent role. Awful things happen. ScarJo gets nekkid, but there are no sexy moments in this movie. Just baffling ones.

After it was over, I immediately read a couple of reviews to see if I correctly understood what was happening. Broadly speaking, yes, but I missed a lot. As I said, it was a true art house film, replete with hidden meanings and allegory.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:28 pm

^ Yeah, that movie was somethin' else. XD I enjoyed it, too.

Today I saw A Letter to Momo (ももへの手紙) (2011) — A girl and her recently widowed mother move to a small island out in the boondocks to live with elderly relatives, but the girl's boredom is interrupted by the appearance of a trio of yōkai. It was very enjoyable; the yōkai were a lot of fun.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:16 am

:D [A couple of comedic period dramas.]

A Woman, a Gun and a Noodle Shop (2009)
Critics mostly didn’t like it. Ok, it was dark humor, very slow, pathetic, and laughable.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Masquerade (2012)
A fun movie but tragic too. Politics suck.

Sometimes I watch an inspirational movie.
Seabiscuit (2003)
rikkikow

Postby rikkikow » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:24 am

Mulan: Rise of a Warrior (2009)
I never watched the Disney animated version.
A Chinese legend her story concerns Chinese history.
In this live action version Mulan goes through the hell of war.
rikkikow

Postby aiPod » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:50 am

DREDD
Candid tale of a young black boy's slow but steady rise to becoming a respected and influential physician in a run down area of the metropolis.
A provoking insight into the psyche of human morality when the character faces the dilemma of maintaining 24h service with limited resources.
4/5

A WALK AMONG THE TOMBSTONES
A story of hope and friendship. The film's character seeks to rekindle the thrills and the adrenaline soaked endeavours of his past, but is hindered by financial woes of the present.
Plentiful and lively roleplay scenes make this a must see for the young crowd this summer.
4/5

THE MAZE RUNNER
An endearing tale about a orphan child trying to reunite himself with his lost parents. This summer tear-jerker pulls you into a twisting storm of emotions and invites the viewer to weather it with him.
Watch him grow and face challenges older peers refuse to surmount, see as he teaches himself fine wood and stone craftwork - physical manifestations of his inner frustrations, and sympathise with him as considers the ultimate sacrifice to fulfil his one wish. A film with young characters for a mature audience, a rare gem.
2/5
aiPod
Senior Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk