Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby rikkikow » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:58 pm

Kamikaze Girls (2005)
Kawaii. It has it all. J-Pop singer/model leads.
Lolita fashion girl, Yanki girl, Yakuza, biker girls, scenes with Anime, Pachinko, fashion and modeling.
What more could one ask for? :lol:
:fear:
Spoiler: show
Koharu?!

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 pm

^ I love that movie so much! It's probably my favorite Japanese film, and that's saying something!
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Tonight I went to the World Premiere of Awesome Asian Bad Guys at CAAMFest in San Francisco. It was, in a word, AWESOME!

The directors' Kickstarter video gives a better idea of the tone of the movie than the official trailer does:

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Denki » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 pm

I was bored late at night yesterday, so I decided to watch Jobs. Ngl, it was kinda interesting. I felt like there were some parts were I believe they should have spent more time on, but it was nice to see how Apple transformed over time. XD
Denki

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

Postby erilaz » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:36 pm

Jodorowsky's Dune — A documentary about the greatest sci-fi movie never made. In the early 1970s, Chilean cult movie director Alejandro Jodorowsky put together a team of luminaries, including big name artists and actors, to create his vision of Frank Herbert's novel. The executives at the big Hollywood studios thought he was too weird and refused to finance the project.

Even though the film was abandoned in the planning stages, it influenced science fiction movies to come. For example, the team of visual artists that Jodorowsky assembled (Dan O'Bannon, Chris Foss, Jean "Mœbius" Giraud, and H. R. Giger) all had a part in the creation of Alien.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:25 am

The Railway Man — A British railroad enthusiast (Colin Firth) meets a woman on a train (Nicole Kidman), and the two fall in love and get married. But then his new wife discovers that he is emotionally scarred because of his experiences as a P.O.W. in Southeast Asia during World War II. When he learns that a Kempeitai officer responsible for torturing him is still alive, he decides to do something about it….
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:53 pm

erilaz wrote:Jodorowsky's Dune — A documentary about the greatest sci-fi movie never made.

I saw a trailer for that. Knowing that the movie was never actually filmed made me too angry to want to sit through the documentary.

I recently saw, on Netflix, an Argentinian movie called "The Fish Child" (El niño pez).... "a gripping tale of forbidden lesbian romance and a crime heist gone wrong. Gifted Argentine actress Ines Efron stars as Lala, a teenager from the most exclusive suburban neighborhood in Buenos Aires. Lala is in love with Guayi, her family's 20-year-old Paraguayan maid (played by Argentine pop star turned actress, Mariela Vitale, aka Emme)."

The pacing was a bit uneven in spots, in the way that films which haven't been focus-grouped to death sometimes are, but for me that's a plus. I really enjoyed it.

tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Thu May 01, 2014 5:12 pm

At the San Francisco International Film Festival:

Tamako in Moratorium (もらとりあむタマ子), the latest from Yamashita Nobuhiro, the director of one of my favorite Japanese films, Linda Linda Linda. Maeda Atsuko (ACCHAN!) is absolutely delightful as Tamako, an unemployed university graduate who lives with her divorced dad. While her dad runs his small sporting goods store and does the cooking and the housework, Tamako does little more than sleep, eat, watch TV, play video games, and read manga. 「ダメだ、日本」she says, when she sees the state of things on the TV news. There's not much plot and not much action, just the slow change of the characters' lives over the course of a year. I loved it.

In one scene Tamako is wearing a t-shirt with the slogan: "When in doubt, eat cereal!!!!" Perfect slacker apparel. :thumbs-up:
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby stam4o » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 am

^Now I want to see that :)
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

Postby Zunu » Fri May 02, 2014 4:58 am

^ Me too. I love those quiet little, "slice of life," not much happens type movies. And Acchan seems perfect for that kind of role.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk