Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more
Post a reply

Re: The Pointless H!P Musings/Rants Thread

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:56 am

It helps to remember…

ローマ (Roma/Rome) + 字 (ji, "character") = ローマ字 (romaji, "Roman characters")

漢 (Kan/Han*) + 字 (ji, "character") = 漢字 (kanji, "Chinese characters")

* The traditional name of China — specifically the Han dynasty, which is considered the golden age of China.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 am

^ Quite true. I was mulling adding something along those lines but I think part of the problem is that "roman" is also an entirely cromulent Japanese word (e.g. the "Roman" of "my dear boy") and even carries the writing-related meaning of "literary novel", and in fact Roman means "novel" in French and German, so it's possible I think to get locked into misremembering the mnemonic.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:08 am

Umm, okay. I was only thinking about making it clear that neither word contains the "-an" or "-ian" form of English adjective.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:04 pm

You did. It is just curious to me that the "Roman" meme is so persistent to begin with. I figure there must be some deep language-related reason that keeps pushes it forward. esm/erilaz any thoughts?

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Nah, people probably just don't think about it much beyond Romanisation = Roman = Romanji.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:38 pm

I would guess that the n in kanji and the n in Roman both contribute to the persistence of "romanji".

It also doesn't help that 文字 can be read as either moji or monji, though I doubt that the gaijin who write or say "romanji" are influenced by that very much.

Incidentally, every time I typed "romanji" in this post, autocorrect tried to change it to "romaji", as it should.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:26 am

Amped wrote:https://i.imgur.com/hbQyG9W.jpg

I was gonna suggest that this pic be our next banner, but realized the rest of the girls from Ichioka and Takase/Kiyono's groups aren't in it. :lol:

Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Can anyone explain why no, when H!P is the most active it's been in a few years, I can't seem to be as active as in the past? :/ I still stay updated with all the MV's and albums.. but the rest I don't really pay attention to or care about like I used to... It's quite strange, really.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 pm

^ You’re older now, and you have new interests and responsibilities.

This is going to happen throughout your life. The rate of change slows a bit, but it never stops.

Look back at your life so far. It’s already happened a few times. Are you interested in the same things now that you were when you were 12?

Surprise, this is what it means to grow up.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:11 pm

Lately HP has been the only thing getting me through the week.
Looking forward to a new release on a Wednesday is fun.
Post a reply