Yoshizawa Situation

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Yoshizawa Situation

Postby Amped » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:38 pm

today at 2pm JST on 11/29, Yossie began her court trial hearing.
https://www.fnn.jp/posts/00394150HDK
https://mainichi.jp/articles/20181129/k ... 40/286000c
Amped
High Priest

Postby JonCC » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:28 pm

2 yrs sought for ex-girl group idol Yoshizawa over hit-and-run

TOKYO (Kyodo) -- Prosecutors sought on Thursday a two-year prison term for Hitomi Yoshizawa, a former member of the all-girl J-pop group Morning Musume, for allegedly injuring two people in a hit-and-run incident while driving under the influence of alcohol.

The 33-year-old admitted to the charges of causing injuries through negligence, hit-and-run and drunken driving during her first court hearing at the Tokyo District Court.

The court is set to hand down a ruling on Friday.

Yoshizawa ran a red light on the morning of Sept. 6 in Tokyo's Nakano Ward and hit a female cyclist and then injured a male pedestrian before fleeing the scene, according to the indictment.

Yoshizawa debuted in 2000 as a member of Morning Musume, known for its smash hit "Love Machine" released in 1999. She served as a public relations ambassador for her hometown of Miyoshi, Saitama Prefecture, after leaving the group in 2007.

She stepped down from the post and announced her retirement from the entertainment world following the incident.

She has had her driver's license revoked.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... dm/092000c
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Zunu » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:21 pm

That last sentence seems like the reporter lowkey being a smartass. :roll:
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Yattaruchan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Zunu wrote:That last sentence seems like the reporter lowkey being a smartass. :roll:

Just stupid. Especially after it's already been stated earlier that she pledges not to obtain a driver's license again, even after the revocation is over. It was a redundant statement.
Yattaruchan
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby Celedam » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:10 pm

Yattaruchan wrote:It was a redundant statement.

Not really. Good journalism often means repeating previously known facts, because there’s always someone who is reading or hearing the story for the first time. It’s common practice in newspaper journalism to keep rerunning the same articles only with new paragraphs prepended, and in online journalism, they just update the existing articles.

(fun fact: iOS autocorrect can’t handle the word “prepend”, even though it’s in the iOS dictionary.)
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

And if not, then quine not?

Postby Zunu » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:46 pm

Possibly becomes sarcastic when prepended to itself possibly becomes sarcastic when prepended to itself?

Spoiler: show
Not disputing your explanation but just to clarify, it's not the repetition itself that comes off as smart-assed, it's the placement of it as an anticlimactic afterthought. Like, "Zunu was sentenced to 12 years for setting fire to Central Library, causing $800 million in damage and destroying many priceless collections, as well as injuring staff and patrons, some with third degree burns. He will begin his term of incarceration immediately.

Zunu's library card was also revoked."

You can almost hear the ba-dump-HISS of the drum kit.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Yattaruchan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:55 pm

There's nothing in the article indicating that it had been updated as far as I can see. And I have no idea whether JonCC quoted the whole thing (at the time), or just parts if it. So in the article's current form, it is kinda redundant when it's put right at the end.
Yattaruchan
Acolyte

Postby Celedam » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:56 am

Yeah, maybe the editing is a little sloppy in that the fact of the revocation is placed after her statement that she will not obtain her license again after the revocation is over. But like I said, I think that's an artifact of how existing articles are updated.

(and i didn't mean updating literally the same article with the same dateline at the same URL. i meant retrieving the text of the article from the database, updating it with new information, and then posting it again.)

I also think it seems sarcastic and/or redundant to you guys only because you're already familiar with the story and you care about the subject (i.e., Yossie). In other words, you're taking it personally. Step away for a moment and then read it again like you're reading it for the first time and you know nothing about the subject. The fact that her license was revoked is relevant and that's why it's included in the article, but it's also relatively unimportant and that's why it's placed at the end. That's really all there is to it.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Yattaruchan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:24 am

Putting it at the end makes it redundant since Yossie's statement already implied it earlier in the article. If it was mentioned before her statement, then there wouldn't be any real issue. So yeah, it's sloppy.

And I knew exactly what you meant about information from previous articles being used in new articles. I don't have issue with that at all. I wasn't referring to previous articles. I was referring to the same single article.

Assuming JonCC did copy the whole article at the time, then said article has since clearly been updated, and the updated article mentions nothing about it being edited. They should have just done a prepend and added the extra info at the front and acknowledged the addition/update.

I don't know why you think I'm taking it personally! I'm just posting my opinion one single part of the article, in a fairly civil manner. And even you, at least partially, agree that it was sloppy. Yossie being the subject matter of the article has zero baring on any of this. Why would it. I'm not arguing her innocence or something here. It's just an opinion. I'm not trying to change your mind. I really couldn't care less if you disagree with my opinion or not. It's perfectly okay to disagree.

And please don't try to point out how redundant I'm being talking about my opinion multiple times. :P
Yattaruchan
Acolyte

Postby JonCC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:40 pm

The verdict is in:
The Tokyo District Court on Nov. 30 handed Hitomi Yoshizawa, a former member of the all-female J-pop group Morning Musume, a suspended prison sentence after finding her guilty of injuring two people in a hit-and-run accident while driving under the influence.

The court sentenced Yoshizawa, 33, to two years' imprisonment, suspended for five years, meaning she will avoid prison if she does not commit another crime within the next half decade.

In their closing statements, public prosecutors said Yoshizawa bore a heavy responsibility as she had been driving with an alcohol level five times over the limit. Her lawyers stated that she had reached a settlement over the accident.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20 ... na/004000c
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project