S/mileage's new name is ANGERME, 3rd gen members announced

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

I was always more into Petra, tbh.

Postby Zunu » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:22 pm

iceymoon wrote:
i'm also going to have to decide how to pronounce this out-loud..

I think most people will probably wind up pronouncing it in an anglicized version of the way that Japan pronounces it.

In way of contrast, probably with Lovendor you're saying LOVE- Ender because you know that LOVE is the real base component of the word (and it's just Japan's fault that they can't pronounce LOVE and it comes out like "rabu"). You're pulled to the "real" pronunciation. Same with the way that most English people seem to say "Morning MOOSE oo-may," pronouncing the component "Morning" like the English word "Morning" instead of "Moh-ni-n-gu" because, after all, we know how the word "Morning" is supposed to sound. On the other hand, the component "Musume" doesn't have an English equivalent, so we just kind of Anglicize the way it sounds in Japanese. And so, concerning Angerme, the base component, ANGE, is a French word to begin with, so unless you're French or speak French there isn't a kind of magnet pulling you toward the real Western pronunciation, and the logical way to say it will just be to imitate the way it sounds in Japanese.

Hope that makes sense.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Re: S/mileage's new name is ANGERME, 3rd gen members announced

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:32 pm

^I usually just say "mo-ni-n-gu-mu-su-me wan-fo-" because that's how the girls pronounce it. xD
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Zunu » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 pm

^ Not for much longer. xD
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby Sohee » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Approved. :up:
Sohee
Hierophant

Favorite Idol: Kamei Eri

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Hey, wait a minute! Isn't there some kind of unwritten rule in Jpop that if a group has a warped, mangled, or weirdly phoneticized French (or pseudo-French) name, they have to be Visual Kei?
Come on, girls, let's see some gothic Lolita outfits, vaguely spiky multicolored hair, upside-down crucifixes, and Clockwork Orange makeup! :mikihead:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Re: I was always more into Petra, tbh.

Postby iceymoon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:02 pm

Zunu wrote:I think most people will probably wind up pronouncing it in an anglicized version of the way that Japan pronounces it.

In way of contrast, probably with Lovendor you're saying LOVE- Ender because you know that LOVE is the real base component of the word (and it's just Japan's fault that they can't pronounce LOVE and it comes out like "rabu"). You're pulled to the "real" pronunciation. Same with the way that most English people seem to say "Morning MOOSE oo-may," pronouncing the component "Morning" like the English word "Morning" instead of "Moh-ni-n-gu" because, after all, we know how the word "Morning" is supposed to sound. On the other hand, the component "Musume" doesn't have an English equivalent, so we just kind of Anglicize the way it sounds in Japanese. And so, concerning Angerme, the base component, ANGE, is a French word to begin with, so unless you're French or speak French there isn't a kind of magnet pulling you toward the real Western pronunciation, and the logical way to say it will just be to imitate the way it sounds in Japanese.

Hope that makes sense.

it does make sense, theoretically. but i don't think i can see the word "ange" and think "anju" instead of "anj", unless i hear it so often that it gets imprinted into my brain. i have at least heard enough French that "ange" as "anj" makes more sense right now. but the fact that it's not just "ange" but "ANGERME" is messing with my brain.. it's hard to pick just the "ange" part out, especially in all caps for some reason. anyway, my brain has gotten used to hearing something like an-j'erme, but it still doesn't sound right when i actually say it out loud (maybe due to my actual pronunciation of it).

for anyone wondering how the French would pronounce the word "germe", click the speaker button on the left:
https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/germe
iceymoon

Postby erilaz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Mixi wrote:I'm a native French speaker and I don't get this name.

I appreciate a good mot-valise, like brunch or franglais, but this one just doesn't cut it.

Panic Nancy wrote:Nothing's stranger than Really? Omelet Puzzle.

YES! Best idol unit name EVER! I want their CD just because their name is so amazing!
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:21 pm

Now I'm going to be puzzled every time I look at an omelet. XD
Last edited by TotallyUncool on Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby erilaz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:29 pm

^ Really? :hehe:

Speaking of which, I just saw that a seller on the Amazon.co.jp Marketplace had a reasonably priced copy (¥1434) with international shipping available. BOUGHT IT! :grin:
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:58 pm

iceymoon wrote:for anyone wondering how the French would pronounce the word "germe", click the speaker button on the left:
https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/germe

I think you mean,

https://translate.google.com/#fr/en/germe

I got Turkish at first, which was quite different. :grinning:
Zunu
Pantaloon

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project