S/mileage's new name is ANGERME, 3rd gen members announced

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: S/mileage's new name is ANGERME, 3rd gen members announced

Postby Mixi » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 pm

erilaz wrote:
Mixi wrote:I'm a native French speaker and I don't get this name.

I appreciate a good mot-valise, like brunch or franglais, but this one just doesn't cut it.

What bothers me the most is that ANGERME doesn't follow a regular morphological pattern. It's just not how compound words are made! :crying:
Mixi
Minion

Favorite Idol: 和田彩花

Postby Zunu » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:05 pm

^ Because Hello!Project
BECELLO!PRO
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby jeiwa42 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:09 pm

I never really reacted to any unit names from H!P when I became a fan, not even Juice=Juice, but at the moment im really hoping that you guys are right and that I will accept this soon enough.

But aside from that, the front 5 is so strong...and Meimei's hair looks awesome here (I didnt mind it much before, but in this photo it looks great!)
KAE-DID IT!!! I am proud to have kept her KSS photo as my avatar since Feb 2, 2014, three years ago!!!
jeiwa42
Minion

Favorite Idol: MuroMinaTaguKisoORisaKaedi

Postby erilaz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:44 pm

BerryzGiraffe3705 wrote:I usually just say "mo-ni-n-gu-mu-su-me wan-fo-" because that's how the girls pronounce it. xD

Sometimes I say the English words in H!P unit names with my normal American English pronunciation, but most of the time I go with the Japanese pronunciation. It depends who I'm talking to.

I remember talking with icey and Bryan at the H!P Official Shop in Shibuya, and some Japanese customers there seemed to be amused by the gaijin saying "kyuuto" in Japanese fashion in the middle of the English conversation. XD
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:47 pm

Sometimes I find myself thinkng (but not saying) "Moaning Moosiemay," which even I will admit is really uncalled-for. XD
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:41 pm

This is not something my brain needed after the day it's had. The idea behind it is really nice, but the final product feels silly.

Someone at UF, please silently swap the R for an L the way you swapped english-S/mileage for it's Japanese counterpart. That would be a massive step towards making it less awkward.

- To people that I talk to in person I'm probably just going to keep calling them S/mileage for the time being, especially since said people don't follow them on their own.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby bisuketto » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Feeling sorry for all the fans who sent in their name suggestions. I probably sound a little harsh, but I'm sure someone came up with a better name than ANGERME.
bisuketto
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Chinami,KanaTomo,Koha,Duu

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 pm

ANGELME
At least that looks better... but it makes them look more selfish, like "Angel? ME!!!!!!!"

And, idk why everyone says "moo-su-may", why not just "meh" at the end like it is? Is it really THAT hard to not say the dipthong?!

And I usually say "cute" or "smileage" when talking about C-ute or S/mileage, but when I think them in my head they are "kyutto" "sumaire-ji"... Berryz is beriiiiiiz lol.
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby gustave154 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:36 pm

I personally think the name is a winner. very unique and i love the pronunciation too
gustave154
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Oda Sakura

Postby stam4o » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:47 am

Zunu wrote:
Spoiler: show
iceymoon wrote:
i'm also going to have to decide how to pronounce this out-loud..

I think most people will probably wind up pronouncing it in an anglicized version of the way that Japan pronounces it.

In way of contrast, probably with Lovendor you're saying LOVE- Ender because you know that LOVE is the real base component of the word (and it's just Japan's fault that they can't pronounce LOVE and it comes out like "rabu"). You're pulled to the "real" pronunciation. Same with the way that most English people seem to say "Morning MOOSE oo-may," pronouncing the component "Morning" like the English word "Morning" instead of "Moh-ni-n-gu" because, after all, we know how the word "Morning" is supposed to sound. On the other hand, the component "Musume" doesn't have an English equivalent, so we just kind of Anglicize the way it sounds in Japanese. And so, concerning Angerme, the base component, ANGE, is a French word to begin with, so unless you're French or speak French there isn't a kind of magnet pulling you toward the real Western pronunciation, and the logical way to say it will just be to imitate the way it sounds in Japanese.

Hope that makes sense.

Yup. :thumbs-up:

erilaz wrote:Sometimes I say the English words in H!P unit names with my normal American English pronunciation, but most of the time I go with the Japanese pronunciation. It depends who I'm talking to.

And yup. :thumbs-up: ,

It's funny how in my mind I got each name with their (sorta) japanese pronunciation (" Mo - ó - ń - in - gu - mú - su - mé" although )....

But when I'm talking to friends who know them (kinda), I'd rather use a combination of English and Catalan, "Les Morning Músume" , "Les Musumés" or even to joke with the name in a way that started out because of those friends , "Les Musususususúuuuuuuuuu" :lol:

And if I'm browsing the internet (mostky this forum) I woudl many times recall the English pronunciation, even if it's just to write.

And ultimately, with my sisters it's a completely different level, since we're used to mix our habitual Bulgarian-Spanish-Catalan spelling and grammar rules with English and Japanese, which ends up taking strange forms like... "Momúuusu", "Smailiiii-j" "Juisa-juisa".... :fear: :lol:

Anyway, Berryz are always "Berries" :giggle:
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project