J-MELO and Morning Musume

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: J-MELO and Morning Musume

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:07 am

riversong wrote: I feel like the repetitiveness is probably for the girls and for the Japanese fans who might not know English very well.

Think about it -- in American/British pop songs, the chorus is almost always the same--even if you don't remember the verses, you'll usually catch onto the chorus first because it's repeated so many times. (When I discovered j-pop, I was thrown by the fact that ALL THE CHORUSES ARE DIFFERENT. Same melody but different lyrics).

By keeping the structure of the song fairly simple and having a chorus that repeats over and over again, it's easier for the girls to remember, and the Japanese fans, too, if they want to sing along.

Right, I agree with this completely. Especially since it's their first song in english.
(Just personally one of the reasons I like H!P rather than english pop is that things aren't as repetitive and bleh.) but it definitely makes sense, here. :P

(edited to include something I messed up because layout regarding the quote)
Last edited by CaptainBerryzGiraffe on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Amped » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:09 am

don't be lazy? you were lazy to quote riversong.
Amped
High Priest

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:48 am

Amped wrote:don't be lazy? you were lazy to quote riversong.

I didn't notice the page changed, actually, so I thought it was on the same page. >.>
I'm gonna add the quote in because it put it on a new page :O
...damn it, layout.
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Mirai » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:35 am

"One and Only" is super catchy and gets stuck in my head easy. I like it :)
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

Postby forgetmenots » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:16 am

I didn't feel like it was repetitive, personally. There are so many layers it feels musically interesting to me. It's not like KimiKawari, Pass0, Tikibun or that one S/mileage song paired with Chikyuu in it. Those songs were repetitive.
forgetmenots
Queen of All Banners

Favorite Idol: Maachan, Nonaka, Oda

Postby BerryzCelebration » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:23 am

I know One and Only isn't necessarily directed to the western audience, but if y'all turned on your daily radio stations, you'd realize that 98% of the songs are repetitive. It happens. Those are the songs that usually sell. They have a line or two that's really catchy, a great chorus, or an awesome instrumental. Examples?: What Do Ü Mean (Justin Beiner), Trap Queen (Fetty Wap), Drag Me Down (One Direction), Good For You (Selena Gomez), Bad Blood (Taylor Swift). All of the songs listed are very repetitive, all of them are successes. One and Only has a lot of potential to be successful, in Japan or outside of it.
BerryzCelebration

Favorite Idol: Mikitty/Chinami

Postby AyuHikaru » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Mmm... not sure about outside of it. It has kind of a Disney Channel bounce to it that would make it successful in a certain market, but not mainstream here in the states. It totally sounds like a Disney Channel song, which isn't a bad thing per say, just doesn't sound pop mainstream. I could hear Hannah Montana or Hilary Duff (back in her disney days) rocking this song though and it selling a whole lot in that market. The "one and only girl" thing may garner some news though about it being a song about two female lovers :P
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby boinsie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Yeah I'm not sure what that "one and only girl" thing is about...
boinsie
Guru

Postby Amped » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Interview Morning Musume。'15 Part 3: Riho Sayashi
https://www.facebook.com/notes/up-front-link/en-interview-morning-musume15-part3-riho-sayashi/960182270707357

Riho Sayashi

Before performing for the first time their new song "One and Only" during the 10th Anniversary of the TV show "J-MELO", UP-FRONT LINK had the chance to ask some questions to each Morning Musume。'15 members in the backstage. The questions are almost the same for each member but the answers are really interesting, check it out!

UFL: The first time you have heard that Morning Musume。'15 new song would be in English, how did you feel?

Riho Sayashi: Many English words are quite used in other languages, like in Japanese so I thought it would not be this difficult at first. But when I heard the song, I directly understood that the pronunciation was totally different and I was wondering if we would be able to sing it properly or not.

UFL: How was the recording?

Riho Sayashi: It was the most difficult recording if I compare to the other recordings I made. I know when some parts are difficult usually during a recording session or even when I practice for the recording. But because it was all in English, I could not even understand what was difficult at first because I could not understand English! I started to panic a bit! The English teacher provided us an important support to be able to get over the difficulties. And after the recording, still, my pronunciation was not perfect, always with a “Japanese accent” so I asked Nonaka-chan to check it and she helped me.

UFL: In Morning Musume。 history, there were several performances in the world so now that you have this new song in English, what is your new goal concerning overseas?

Riho Sayashi: We sang only in Japanese until now but even so, I was happy that we have many fans from all over the world supporting us. This time we are finally able to reach people worldwide with our efforts in the song. I tried my best in order to be understood with my English.

UFL: Where do you absolutely want to go next time?

Riho Sayashi: Oh… It is difficult to choose but probably a place where people can speak English!

UFL: On YouTube, you receive many comments in many languages from all over the world for each music video uploaded, how do you feel about it?

Riho Sayashi: Well, I know some words and characters in English so I somehow understand those comments. Sometimes there are comments in Arabic, Thai, etc. well, other languages using characters that I do not know at all and then I think, how did they discover us... and then I feel so happy with this support from all over the world!

Thank you Riho!
Amped
High Priest

Postby Amped » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Interview Morning Musume。'15 Part 4: Kanon Suzuki
https://www.facebook.com/notes/up-front ... 0470663537

Kanon Suzuki

Before performing for the first time their new song "One and Only" during the 10th Anniversary of the TV show "J-MELO", UP-FRONT LINK had the chance to ask some questions to each Morning Musume。'15 members in the backstage. The questions are almost the same for each member but the answers are really interesting, check it out!

UFL: The first time you have heard that Morning Musume。'15 new song would be in English, how did you feel?

Kanon Suzuki: Well, I have learned a bit English at school so I wanted to try my best. I cannot speak this much, and I do not have a proper pronunciation. This is why I trained a lot for the recording in order that people can understand my English. The recording was not easy...

UFL: Last year during the New York live many fans showed you their support. Do you have more pressure knowing this?

Kanon Suzuki: Last year of course I felt lots of support from the fans during the New York’s live. I only have to try my best for them; I do not want to deceive them, this is really important.

UFL: Where do you absolutely want to go next time?

Kanon Suzuki: Brazil! I had a relative who cooked Brazilian food for me so I had many opportunities to eat Brazilian food and I love it. I also would like to go a faraway country where our fans are waiting for us. Brazil is quite far from Japan so it would be perfect to go there!

UFL: On YouTube, you receive many comments in many languages from all over the world for each music video uploaded, how do you feel about it?

Kanon Suzuki: Somehow, it is like a miracle. Those people who are far away, who do not have a direct and real link with us, have now this special window they can open, “internet”, to discover us. So reading the comments, I know and can feel we are linked with them. This is really happiness. I am so thankful to internet there is this way to communicate all over the world.

UFL: Do you have any specific message to foreigner fans?

Kanon Suzuki: I always felt that even without words, we can communicate like with a smile. So with YouTube and all the other way to spread our music and everything, I want also to spread my smile worldwide to everyone.

Thank you Kanon!

Amped
High Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project