~Where's we JPloppers from, yo?!~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Where do you live?

Africa
1%
East Asia
9%
West Asia
2%
North America
56%
South America
4%
Europe
24%
Oceania
4%

Total votes : 85

Re: ~Where's we JPloppers from, yo?!~

Postby iceymoon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Los Angeles as well! i'm responsible for encouraging Sohee to move here. XD now she has to deal with the realities of LA transportation sucking.. lol sorry.

so looks like we have quite a lot of Californians on JPM, it's too bad the state is too big to make meet-ups convenient.
iceymoon

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Although for people in the L.A. area, the Japanese Language and Culture Meetup Group (NihonLA) is very active throughout the area.
(And we do karaoke at Max in J-town and in Torrance XD )
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby DSQueenie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:20 pm

SaebaRyo wrote:Also might be relevant to this thread.
[youtube]EhiJwfj0URs[/youtube]

This song always annoyed me, as flatted as I am that Scotland got it's own mention it sucks a bunch of island in the Caribbean are just under "The Caribbean" when the are independent countries unlike Scotland that's a part of the UK.
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Acolyte

Postby aggisu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 pm

finally voting and posting works for me somehow. :B

I live in Sweden, but I'm from Iceland.

I've gotten used to Sweden in such a way that I assume it is a part of Iceland.
aggisu
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: 佐藤優樹

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Well, if Iceland was supposed to be part of Denmark, and Greenland is still supposed to be part of Denmark, I think it makes much more sense for Sweden to be part of Iceland! XD

I can just about date that Animaniacs song simply by listening to the names of the countries: somewhere between October 1990 (German reunification) and December 1991 (breakup of the Soviet Union, since "Russia" seems to cover all of the old Soviet territories)/January 1992 (international recognition of Croatia and Slovenia; "Yugoslavia" is shown on the map and referred to as one country). Not to mention a few other things which date it, although not as precisely: "Czechoslovakia," "Zaire," "Kampuchea" (and I'm sure I'm missing a few).

And it just seems weird for me to hear something that I still think of as kind of recent, and realize how old it is... :fear:

Spoiler: show
But then again, I've got a globe (which I picked up a few years ago at a yard sale) in my living room which shows "Indochina," the "Malay States," Africa made up of almost nothing but colonies (including the "Anglo-Egyptian Sudan") and the orange-red of the British Empire all across Africa and Asia (including an India which still seems to encompass Baluchistan and the entire East Bengal region -- both of which are shown in a slightly different shade of orange-red and very discretely labeled "Dominion of Pakistan," -- as well as the "Dominion of Ceylon"), along with a post WWII but undivided Germany, an immediately post-partition Israel, Cyprus as a British colony, and I swear, not only Greenland, but Iceland in the same color as Denmark -- and a unified Korea, and Taiwan as "Formosa." There's no copyright date on it, but from all that, it has to come either from a rather strange alternate universe, or else this universe, right around 1948. :fear:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Echidna » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 pm

SaebaRyo wrote:Toronto, Canada.
Short walk from East Chinatown
If you seen any of the original Degrassi series (Kids of degrassi St, Degrassi Jr High and Degrassi High) you can get a good idea of my neighbourhood. Degrassi NG sucks big time.

oh, I remember old Degrassi, I watched it when I was a kid. I was to small to understand some things but I liked this series :)
Echidna
Acolyte

Postby erilaz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:16 am

TotallyUncool wrote:
Spoiler: show
But then again, I've got a globe (which I picked up a few years ago at a yard sale) in my living room which shows "Indochina," the "Malay States," Africa made up of almost nothing but colonies (including the "Anglo-Egyptian Sudan") and the orange-red of the British Empire all across Africa and Asia (including an India which still seems to encompass Baluchistan and the entire East Bengal region -- both of which are shown in a slightly different shade of orange-red and very discretely labeled "Dominion of Pakistan," -- as well as the "Dominion of Ceylon"), along with a post WWII but undivided Germany, an immediately post-partition Israel, Cyprus as a British colony, and I swear, not only Greenland, but Iceland in the same color as Denmark -- and a unified Korea, and Taiwan as "Formosa." There's no copyright date on it, but from all that, it has to come either from a rather strange alternate universe, or else this universe, right around 1948. :fear:

I'm a sucker for old maps and atlases and have accumulated a few in my day. I have Hagstrom's Map of the World with pre-WWII borders but with the postwar changes (including Pakistan) overprinted, so it's from around the same time as your globe. (The explanatory note states that the overprints "represent the present status of international boundaries, as of Jan. 1, 1949 subject to modification after signing of the Peace Treaties.") My mother worked for the Hagstrom Company in New York at the time, so I guess maps are in my blood.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby DSQueenie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Echidna wrote:
SaebaRyo wrote:Toronto, Canada.
Short walk from East Chinatown
If you seen any of the original Degrassi series (Kids of degrassi St, Degrassi Jr High and Degrassi High) you can get a good idea of my neighbourhood. Degrassi NG sucks big time.

oh, I remember old Degrassi, I watched it when I was a kid. I was to small to understand some things but I liked this series :)

Degrassi is one of those things I only knew about in retrospect. Wasn't Drake in it?
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Acolyte

Postby erilaz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:52 am

^ He was in Degrassi: The Next Generation. The three original series aired in the 1980s.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Amped » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:54 am

voted.
Amped
High Priest

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project