7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby otaku_blue » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:29 pm

have u guys watched Over the Green wall?

I really enjoyed it at the end. Its very Ghilbi inspired.
otaku_blue
Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:20 pm

Do you mean "Over the Garden Wall"?
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby otaku_blue » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:28 pm

yes LOL
otaku_blue
Devotee

Postby Starra » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:10 pm

So I... wanna (re)watch some cartoons that I used to watch growing up. I don't really remember many of them even though I'd watch them again and again. I also feel like I'd appreciate them a lot more now.

I have a list of things, but if anyone else has any recommendations, let me know!

-The Powerpuff Girls.
-Ed, Edd & Eddy.
-Dave the Barbarian.
-The Fairly OddParents (first few seasons anyway, I hear it got shit).
-Recess.
-Dexter's Lab.
-Danny Phantom.
-Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
-Hey Arnold!.
-Kim Possible.

I also wanna try out some that I didn't really watch... Like The Jetsons, Adventure Time (which came out long after I was a kid), Sheep in the Big City and Time Squad.

Basically the only cartoon I'm caught up with is South Park, and even then I'm rewatching it because I don't know how much of pre-season 12 I've seen. I've also rewatched The Weekenders in recent years, which is probably one of my favourite shows.
中澤裕子紺野あさ美萩原舞金澤朋子山﨑愛生梁川奈々美加賀楓須藤茉麻田村芽実平井美葉清野桃々姫福田真琳松本わかな岸本ゆめの・松原ユリヤ♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Zunu » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:41 pm

I don't suppose Justice League Unlimited is your kind of cartoon but it really had strong characterization and some incredible arcs.
Similarly Teen Titans.
Also The Clone Wars. Not really classic, it just ended recently.
Classic Warner Brothers cartoons, particularly the distillation of Existentialism which is Road Runner.
Probably super dated references but I used to laugh so much over Space Ghost: Coast to Coast (half cartoon, half live action)
If you want something really weird and WTF, try Aeon Flux (the cartoon, not the movie). It's like from the founding days of MTV.
Speaking of MTV, I'm sure you've seen the Gen X/Y overrated but nonetheless amusing Daria.
Drawn Together might be hard to come by these days. It was a really crass tasteless parody of house type reality shows.
Boondocks
The Venture Bros. You have to be willing to go all in with this or you won't enjoy it at all, but worth it for Dr. Girlfriend aka Dr. Mrs. The Monarch alone.
Archer, of course.
The Jetsons is okay but if you really want a kind of postwar time capsule of the joys of being an American Salaryman, imo Bewitched (the live action series) is better. Or the movie "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?"
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:21 pm

Zunu wrote:Probably super dated references but I used to laugh so much over Space Ghost: Coast to Coast (half cartoon, half live action)

It's good, but it has not aged well at all. Most of the celebrity guests were D-list even in the '90s, so I gotta wonder if someone under 30 today would even recognize some of them.

If you go that route, I recommend other Adult Swim classics like Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and Harvey Birdman. The last in particular is a favorite of mine.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby forgetmenots » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:30 pm

*Rugrats is kind of young, but my parents tell me they enjoyed watching it as well so maybe it's still good to an older eye.
*Doug is another show I watched a ton of.
*Courage the Cowardly Dog
*Johnny Bravo (lol)
*I enjoyed Static Shock as well.
*AH and Gargoyles (I really want to rewatch this from the beginning because I always just caught random episodes as a child).

I almost exclusively watched cartoons for a lot of my younger life, so I could list so many more. The ones you have, Starra, though are the ones I would have recommended for the most part as well. I miss that good stock of Cartoon Network shows.
forgetmenots
Queen of All Banners

Favorite Idol: Maachan, Nonaka, Oda

Postby Starra » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Zunu wrote:I don't suppose Justice League Unlimited is your kind of cartoon but it really had strong characterization and some incredible arcs.
Similarly Teen Titans.

I'm... not really into superhero things tbh. I watched a bit of Teen Titans but it didn't really do much for me.

Classic Warner Brothers cartoons, particularly the distillation of Existentialism which is Road Runner.

Meep meep, motherfuckers. I did watch a lot of those kinds of things when I was younger -- Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, etc. I own some of them on VHS, lol.

Drawn Together might be hard to come by these days.

Dude, this is 2014, everything's available online probably.

The Jetsons is okay but if you really want a kind of postwar time capsule of the joys of being an American Salaryman, imo Bewitched (the live action series) is better. Or the movie "Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?"

I don't like watching live-action things, unless it's a panel show or something without much acting. I have a hard time actually picturing characters -- I just see the actors/actresses as themselves, unless they're in over-the-top makeup. I also find it hard to connect with facial expressions of real people, so that's another reason why I don't watch live-action things that much. QI and Top Gear are pretty much the only things, but neither of them involve acting (okay, Top Gear does kinda, but y'know).

forgetmenots wrote:*Rugrats is kind of young, but my parents tell me they enjoyed watching it as well so maybe it's still good to an older eye.

Ah yeah, Rugrats was another one I watched a lot of. I think I'll try it at some point.

*Courage the Cowardly Dog

Never liked this one. I'm not a fan of spooky/horror things, tbh.

As for the others people suggested, I really don't know enough about them to comment (except Johnny Bravo, which is lol). Adult Swim stuff never really seemed like my thing, but then again I was probably too young at the time.
中澤裕子紺野あさ美萩原舞金澤朋子山﨑愛生梁川奈々美加賀楓須藤茉麻田村芽実平井美葉清野桃々姫福田真琳松本わかな岸本ゆめの・松原ユリヤ♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:56 pm

Starra: List of semi-random suggestions (some of which aren't totally serious, but are good for a gag):
- As Told by Ginger
- Pepper Ann
- Braceface
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
- W.I.T.C.H.
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
- Bump in the Night (Weird when I was little, even more so now. A bit like a bonkers "Toy Story" where Bo-Peep/Barbie is a rag doll and the monsters under the bed (and in the toilet) are also alive.)
- Red Hot Riding Hood (Tex Avery MGM classic.)
- Silly Symphony (Series of shorts.)
- Alvin and the Chipmunks (1983-1990 version.)
- Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa (Not a very serious suggestion. I knew this show was bad when I was younger, but..cow cowboys. I couldn't resist.)
- Bobby's World (I'm probably just sugar coating this in nostalgia because of Howie Mandel. It might or might not be crap.)

- Though it's currently airing I would also recommend "The Amazing World of Gumball". ("The Plan", "The World", "The Extras", and "The Vacation" are episodes I always end up showing people.)

These seem obvious (to me), but just in case:
- Animaniacs
- Tiny Toon Adventures

(Removed "Batman: The Animated Series", since you don't do superheroes. :lol:)
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby forgetmenots » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Oh god W.I.T.C.H was a guilty pleasure of mine LOL Totally Spies as well.

On the line of Animaniacs IF you can find it I HIGHLY recommend Histeria! I'd forgotten that one, which is a shame because it was one of my all time favourites. I'm pretty sure it's done by the same people as Animaniacs (same humour for the most part) I used to get up obnoxiously early on weekdays to catch it before school when it was showing (it got cancelled pretty early I found out later which it was so hard to find for so long... I think a DVD got released finally though so you can find it now...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgobS2wSV1o <-- found an episode. "The Legion of Super Writers" So nostalligiccc.
forgetmenots
Queen of All Banners

Favorite Idol: Maachan, Nonaka, Oda

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project