7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Celedam » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Keep bangin' on…

2005–2014.
Last edited by Celedam on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby stam4o » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:58 am

Yesterday I finished A Game of Thrones.

Spoiler: show
Saying that it's magnificent is quite short actually. There are good books, and then, there are GOOD books.

I remember, time ago, people telling me that Song of Ice and Fire is kind of a Lord of The Rings series, because of dragons and other creatures in a middle-age world. Now I would agree about the LOTR comparison, but it's far from that reason. Rather than that, I think there are similarities between both the full and exquisite narrative styles, which are seriously a thing.

But when it come to feelings.... LOTR is basicallly childish. Martin has a great ability of evoking the right feelings at the right time, plus, many of those aren't a simple as stating an "I'm sad because of... ".... there is a lot of recurssive emotional playing. There are things that one won't notice unless... he's experienced them in a way. And that... is hard, hard to master. Well, that is his 20+ years experience in writing, when the first book came out (almost 20 years ago :sweat: :o )

Also, since he has chosen to write the story, following each one of those determined characters every chapter, Martin successfully achieves to tell what's happenning from the eyes of each one too, each perception. If it's a kid, he won't understand too many things, and he'll wonder a lot and imagine a lot. If it's an adult, he'll have a firm and decided look over the world, and story will follow another rhythm. If it's somebody crippled and used to be treated like hell, he'll have this super.twisted perception....

Another thing are crucial moments. They're left up to imagination, which is the best way out possible, since describing them is not easy - many authors fail on that, because they try to input their vision for those moments and the feeling is lost, not just every reader would agree with it right then. But here, we've got lots and lots of characters, some of them primary, some secondary, whose mission at some point of the story is to inform of those important events to other characters, as a part of the story flow, and not giving out all that information abruptly and just because. That makes the reader get his own conclusions about the important events and imagine on it's own how they developed. (this is actually one of the magic of learning in literature)

And finally, symbolisms are always present, and they're just like hidden gems. The crows ones are probably the best.

Also, O think there's no need to tell the all the characters are really really well done.

Spoiler: show
By the way, so far... Bran is being one of my favourites :love:
And I've got a feeling that Sansa will develop into somebody incredible... at the right time

I already got the second book from the library, but I guess I'll wait some time to read it. I may watch the first season of the show before that, which is very promising.
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

Postby Celedam » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:29 am

stam4o wrote:I remember, time ago, people telling me that Song of Ice and Fire is kind of a Lord of The Rings series, because of dragons and other creatures in a middle-age world. Now I would agree about the LOTR comparison, but it's far from that reason. Rather than that, I think there are similarities between both the full and exquisite narrative styles, which are seriously a thing.

But when it come to feelings.... LOTR is basicallly childish. Martin has a great ability of evoking the right feelings at the right time, plus, many of those aren't a simple as stating an "I'm sad because of... ".... there is a lot of recurssive emotional playing. There are things that one won't notice unless... he's experienced them in a way. And that... is hard, hard to master. Well, that is his 20+ years experience in writing, when the first book came out (almost 20 years ago :sweat: :o )

:hmmm:

Tolkien was a World War I veteran, a renowned Oxford professor of medieval literature, a devout Catholic, and a reserved English gentleman. He wrote The Lord of the Rings mostly as an exercise in poetry and mythology, but it was also influenced by his experiences during the war. He couldn't do emotional twists and witty dialogue even if he tried, because that's not the sort of life he lived. He did, however, pretty much single-handedly create a new genre, and he did it when Martin was still in diapers.

In contrast, before he started A Song of Ice and Fire, Martin was best known for writing B-grade '80s television (The Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast) and editing gimmicky sci-fi anthologies (Wild Cards). Otherwise, he's just another fat American who talks too much about money, politics, football, and himself, and as the years pass and the HBO series laps him, people are starting to wonder if he's actually committed to finishing what he started. Some even think he shot his load with the first three books and is now struggling.

Now, I enjoy both as much as anyone else, but to try to compare them like that and then dismiss The Lord of the Rings as "childish"? Fuck. Other than having "R. R." in the name and sharing some basic fantasy tropes — most of which Tolkien invented or at least brought forward — the two are nothing alike and are not meant to be. One is clever, the other is wise.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby stam4o » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:40 am

^I was talking only about that certain aspect, I'm not trying to take credits away from him. Tolkien's writing is way more descriptive and expressive, no surprise he was a (medieval) literature professor because that's clearly noticeable in his narrations. Which makes his works appropriate for a wider public, including a younger one, and that makes the recurrence to more complex values not just quite unnecessary, but also a bit unsuitable with the same Tolkien. Martin is on a different, more "pessimistic" wave, so not a surprise again, that he's the way he is. But his different evolution in literature has granted him with another way of analizing and evoking feelings, and I was just thinking that those seem to be quite more complex than the ones Tolkien has control on, but that doesn't make him a worse writer.
You're taking it too seriously. It was just a comment, since I remembered that fact. And I don't like comparisons about "who's better" either, they're pointless, but comparisons between different points of view do are necessary, and that's what I'm usually trying to figure out.
stam4o
Minion

Postby wotakubrandon » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 am

Celedam wrote:I'm surprised by how much they're lifting from the comics. Of course they're adapting it to fit the MCU and toning it down so that it doesn't scare off a mainstream audience, but still, it's a lot.
It really is. The first time I've been really interested in AoS since it started.
wotakubrandon

Postby Starra » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:33 pm

I love David Mitchell.
中澤裕子紺野あさ美萩原舞金澤朋子山﨑愛生梁川奈々美加賀楓須藤茉麻田村芽実平井美葉清野桃々姫福田真琳松本わかな岸本ゆめの・松原ユリヤ♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby forgetmenots » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:50 pm

I got Fantasy Life for Christmas and it's quickly become one of my favourite games. It's basically just lifted the jobs/crafting part from MMOs and made an entire game from it. I think I may have underestimated how much I love that part of MMOs.

Speaking of MMOs, hopefully I'll be able to team up with my friend while I'm here to get past that STUPID forced party dungeon area of FFXIV, because... *rant* I'm one of those strange people that HATE socializing on MMOs. I adore the gameplay, the never ending world, the customization... the quest system.. but parties? Yeah, I have social anxiety disorder, and can't stand commitment to a game (makes me not want to play). FFXIV was amazing to solo and quickly became my favourite MMO I'd ever played (the grouping events are a lifesaver for me) and than at a certain part, the main storyline was halted for me since it has a required dungeon. :/ Just GAHHH */rant*
forgetmenots
Queen of All Banners

Favorite Idol: Maachan, Nonaka, Oda

Postby stam4o » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Any Yu-Gi-Oh! fan by the way around here? KONAMI launched an official app (finally!!!!!) some while ago for IOS and at the beginnings of December for Android. No, but seriously, finally!! It still has some bugs and it's a lot under maintenance, but it's really good, and NPC mode includes characters from the 4 series (I'm only a fan of the first "original" Duel Monsters (for now, maybe), but I guess fighting the next generations might be cool as well, although I still haven't got there yet).

But it's Yu-Gi-Oh! iykwita :ugeek:
stam4o
Minion

Postby Moh » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:37 am

Sailor Moon Crystal stuff:
A Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal screening event on Saturday announced that Misato Fukuen will play Chibi Usa/Sailor Chibi Moon and Ai Maeda will play Setsuna Meiō/Sailor Pluto in the ongoing anime.

The anime premiered on July 5 and airs on the first and third Saturdays every month. Starting on January 17, the second season includes the story from the original manga's "Black Moon" arc and features Chibi Usa. The Comic Natalie website posted more images from the upcoming episodes.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... uto/.82666

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Starra » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:33 am

I'm surprised they kept the scene with Chibiusa and the gun :lol: .

Crystal is kinda... eh. I'm not enjoying it too much. It's not bad, but I feel like they could've done something a bit better. It feels kinda sloppy to me.

Jupiter is still the best girl, though.
中澤裕子紺野あさ美萩原舞金澤朋子山﨑愛生梁川奈々美加賀楓須藤茉麻田村芽実平井美葉清野桃々姫福田真琳松本わかな岸本ゆめの・松原ユリヤ♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project