6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 6th Station ~Other Bands for H!P Fans~

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:02 pm

IOI isn't even a "real" group though, is it? I admit I stopped checking in on them when all of their music was disappointing, but I was under the impression that it was still a temporary thing that wouldn't even exist after 2016.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby otaku_blue » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:23 pm

They're a "real" group for a year? They've been having a lot of success, despite being denied access to perform on some music programs because of a conflict of interest between the channels (since IOI is Mnet produced). The company that won IOI certainly has been lucky because even though both their album and title song were horrible, its still charting and selling well because the girls themselves are such a hit. So in that regard, their debut album was a joke. But as a group they've been successful with commercials, endorsements and TV ratings.

I just think the whole controversy of her being in DIA is dumb, since we all knew that beforehand. I mean what else was her company going to do with her? She was only there because she auditioned for the show before DIA planned to debut and they wanted to reach 101 girls. No one forced them to vote for her.
otaku_blue
Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Success doesn't play into what I meant, I was using "real" to try and differentiate between groups that are expected to be fixtures for an undisclosed amount of time and those that are temporary with a deadline set from the beginning, which is were IOI falls. Very roughly compared (I know there are obvious differences) their format reminds me of special units we've had in H!P like Shugo Chara Egg! (all trainees, directly tied to a TV program, not really a major debut, expected limited run from the start).

I suppose with my confusion over their confusion, I was assuming temporary/special units are a thing in Kpop - especially since individual members going solo while also being in a group seems very common. I don't check deeply enough into things to actually know if they dabble in special groups though, my mistake.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby otaku_blue » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:55 pm

yeah thats whats weird.

They're technically a special "unit". But the plan for the group was literally just made up as they went along.
I know management have said before that if its a success that they'd continue the group (which would work out well for Somi since JYP is busy with Twice too debut a new group). I mean it'd make sense for the girls to continue occasionally as a unit, but it depends on their agencies. even now Starship are being weird with Yeunjung. The thing with IOI vs AKB is that IOI is run by a lot of different agencies while AKB just usually has 2 (AKS and other).

I guess most fans of the show were under the expectation that the girls would commit the full whole year to just being IOI.
But that doesn't make sense for the girls and their companies at all? I think what they're doing now is fine, but they just need better releases.
otaku_blue
Devotee

Postby jeiwa42 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:35 am

To me, I.O.I is like a Satoyama/umi unit, but lasts a bit longer and has more than 1 just song.

I'm one of those who expected they would commit for a full year because I thought they'd be focusing more on being a group and promo-ing to build their names, but at the same time preparing for debuts in their own companies on the downlow. The whole issue with Chaeyeon, for me, was that she was essentially double worked during May by actually having the need to promo with both groups at the same time (well not anymore because of the I.O.I subunit) and we already know I.O.I barely lets them sleep as is. I felt the same with Eunbin and CLC, where they couldnt just wait a bit more to reveal her as an addition. JellyFish and Pledis' approach to their girls/groups was more acceptable, where they let the promised one month of promos finish before they confirmed their new girl groups.

They really do need better releases though. I really liked Tok Tok Tok but that was essentially the only new song I like from them (and, even though it's technically not theirs but was remixed for them, Hip Song 2016, seriously, that's such a bop, and I'm glad they still perform it).
KAE-DID IT!!! I am proud to have kept her KSS photo as my avatar since Feb 2, 2014, three years ago!!!
jeiwa42
Minion

Favorite Idol: MuroMinaTaguKisoORisaKaedi

Postby BerryzCelebration » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:32 am

Also two of the Jellyfish girls in I.O.I are involved in Jellyfish's upcoming girl group, so yeah. I don't really understand the issue with girls being in I.O.I and another group. I.O.I isn't meant to last forever for them; I'm pretty sure it's meant to give them opportunities and get their names out there so that when they do actually debut, they'll have a pretty decent following and be almost fully prepared.
BerryzCelebration

Favorite Idol: Mikitty/Chinami

Postby Moh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:16 pm

New Wednesday Campanella video/song for rikkikow. Tsuchi no Ko:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby rikkikow » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:35 pm

^ Aw ... :xmas: domo arigato gozaimasu
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:55 pm

I don't know the name of the group or the song, but this was funny.

Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Moh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:21 pm

I actually liked that a lot. Btw, looks like GOLD no Keikan by Bed In. :)

My feel-good song for the week: Kisum - No Jam (her tone might be a little jarring)
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project