7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Celedam » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:12 pm

Announced at New York Comic Con (NYCC) today, a spoilerific first look at The Legend of Vox Machina Season 2…

…and Season 1 was so well received that Season 3 has been greenlit as well.

Seriously, the first season was damned good. I still recommend it, with the caveat that the first episode is a bit rough but worth pushing through.

viewtopic.php?p=266430#p266430
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:22 pm

Skipping the preview clip, but regarding your recommendation, I completely agree.

I was initially under the impression The Legend of Vox Machina was something like a visual storybook accompaniment to a spoken Critical Role D&D campaign, which is not something that would interest me, so I passed over the show for a long time. But it was basically a straight fantasy anime, a pretty good one, which didn't need any prior D&D or Critical Role context to make sense or hold my interest. I look forward to the 2nd season.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:50 pm

Zunu wrote:I was initially under the impression The Legend of Vox Machina was something like a visual storybook accompaniment to a spoken Critical Role D&D campaign

Then I didn't explain it properly…? I thought I made it clear that it was a straightforward adaptation, but apparently not.

Zunu wrote:[I]t was basically a straight fantasy anime, a pretty good one, which didn't need any prior D&D or Critical Role context to make sense or hold my interest.

Fair enough, but that context does add layers. Which I guess is the difference between "pretty good" and "damned good". As with any adaptation, you can appreciate it more if you know the source material.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:06 am

Celedam wrote:Then I didn't explain it properly…?

Not at all! I wasn't paying particularly close attention, is all. I was mildly familiar with Critical Role from having tried to watch* an episode or two back when it was on the VRV streaming service, and the boredom I associated with the name brand (sorry!) sort of disincentivized me to follow the details about the project. From there I probably just filled in the blanks with my preconceptions; that's totally on me.

And I think we agree that it's good the show can be enjoyed on multiple levels. But since your glowing assessment is in part based on your higher level knowledge of the characters and campaigns, I wanted to concur, and add for the rest of us "rubes" that even on the non-knowledgeable level, it's a pretty fun show, and a solid find. By way of comparison, I also watch the Star Trek based cartoon, The Lower Decks. And while I enjoy it equally as much, I think it relies a great deal -- maybe overmuch -- on the source material for its gags, and probably loses a lot of humor to people lacking the source lore. So I wouldn't particularly recommend it to a non-"Trekkie."

*that grammar sounds a bit off to me but y'all know what I mean.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:58 am

Celedam wrote:…and Season 1 was so well received that Season 3 has been greenlit as well.
Yes yes yes yes! :w00t: I liked this show even more after I finished it and let it sit for a while, I was actively sad I didn't have more episodes to watch. Knowing I have two more seasons to look forward to is great.

Celedam wrote:Which I guess is the difference between "pretty good" and "damned good". As with any adaptation, you can appreciate it more if you know the source material.
It doesn't mean much but even though I never found the time to fully invest into the campaigns, I still thought the show was pretty damned good. Certainly enjoyed it far more than the "Wheel of Time" adaptation from Amazon (though they're only really comparable by being fantasy, I guess).
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Moh » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:49 am

Chainsaw Man OP:

Yonezu Kenshi - KICK BACK
    Lyrics/Composition: Yonezu Kenshi
    Arrangement: Yonezu Kenshi, Tsuneta Daiki (King Gnu, millennium parade)
    Contains a sample of "Souda! We're ALIVE" (Lyrics/Composition: Tsunku)

Full song here.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Shoujo Q » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:44 am

I just watched the Opening again. The anime even references Souda! we’re Alive in the animation. That’s a pretty sweet nod.
Shoujo Q
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

Postby Celedam » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:06 am

The full series of Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (1996–1999) is now available for a limited time on the official Gundam channel…

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx_NWf-b29CR8o3HpUN_zKOx

This "side story" is set during the same war depicted in the original Mobile Suit Gundam (1979–1980). Different front (on Earth), different characters (frontline grunts), more modern animation (similar to Gundam Wing).
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:09 am

This is wrong in so many ways…

For reference…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_fG_zLbBeU
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby boinsie » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:19 am

Holy crap, some of these cats might have needed the paycheck, but Diedrich Bader & (actual) Michael Bolton?? Whyyy would you sell out to Walmart.
boinsie
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project